I can’t tell you how good it feels to be on top of my exercise routine again. I was enjoying a break from fitness from November to February, and hating it at the same time.
I really dislike working out. I hate putting my body under stress, and getting red faced and sweaty at the same time. I do, however, adore how I feel straight after a workout, and how my body physically responds to regular exercise. I’ve always been a bit lanky standing at 5’9, somewhat athletic (emphasis on somewhat, interpret that however you like), and luckily never overweight…So I tend to notice results after a few weeks if I’m disciplined and put in the work.
I started training with my old school friend Shelly at the beginning of March and I honestly haven’t looked back since. Had she not reached out to let me know that she had recently gone full time with fitness coaching, I have no doubt I would still be promising myself that I would start using my gym membership “next week”. I think having a PT is something that just changes your entire mentality when it comes to fitness. You lose all sense of self pity, doubt and laziness. There’s nowhere to hide when you’re training one-on-one!
Some advice if you are thinking of starting training with a PT
- Make sure you like them, if you don’t I can guarantee you’ll feel uncomfortable.
- Make sure that they are the type that will leave everything (friendship included) at the door and push you to exceed the limits you thought you had.
- Be honest with them from the get-go about how much you can commit and what your lifestyle is actually like. There’s no point in telling them you’re a macro counting vegan if you are like a hoover in a kitchen press like myself. Similarly, if you’re someone who goes out at the weekend, then be honest about the amount of alcohol you consume, because that will effect your progress in a major way.
If a PT isn’t an option, then….
- Decide whether an online programme is more up your street. If so, make sure you go to a reputable provider that has proven results, and testimonials from other clients that are similar to you. (I adored working with Recalibrated Bodies!)
- If you’re a member of a gym, have a look at some of the classes that are on offer there. Some classes might complement whatever it is that you are doing in the gym nicely.
- Whatever you decide, have some sort of plan in place for yourself.
If you’re ever in need of some ideas for your workouts, be sure to check out Shelly’s Instagram and give her a follow, she regularly posts her workouts on her stories and on her highlights.
I have to say a big thank you to JD Sports for gifting me these Nike Air Max. You may have guessed by now that I am totally obsessed with Nike having listened to Shoe Dog on Audible twice in the last month. It’s all about the story of Nike told by it’s creator, Phil Knight. I feel as though I know him so well, we’re besties now, ha!
Some other sneakers favourites from JD Sports:
Let me know if you have any questions,
(Photos by Bríd ❤️)