I can’t help but feel very different towards Christmas since we had a tough one two years ago. I was always so blissfully unaware of how difficult a time of the year it was before I found myself wishing it was over. It’s a time when everything is heightened. If you’re happy, you’re even happier, but if you’re feeling down, you feel even lower.
I wanted to put this post together to try and help anyone who might be finding it tough, and to remind you that it is just another day that eventually passes. I also wanted to put it out there as a reminder to others to be extra considerate. It’s so easy to forget that Christmas is major time for reflection and looking back on the last year. But in reality that is not always a good thing. Families may have broken down, people have passed away, received devastating diagnosis’, be currently in hospital, be abroad…I could continue. In a nutshell, this is just a friendly reminder to reach out to the people who you feel might need some positive reassurance or kind words at this time of year. Check in on neighbours or relatives who may feel lonely, and just be extra vigilant if someone seems quieter than usual. We never know what is going on behind closed doors.
If you are struggling…
- Remember, it will be over before you know it
- Things will get better
- Be kind to yourself, spend your days as you wish
- Don’t force yourself to be festive
- Avoid too much alcohol, it never helps in the long run
- Reach out to a friend who you can rely on, try and talk about what you are going through
- Avoid people who stress you out (we all have them!)
- Try and let go of important traditions at this time of year, embrace new ones
- Be sensitive to other people around you who are going through tough times, everyone deals with things in different ways
I hope you all have your best Christmas yet, and if you are dreading this year or wishing it away for whatever reason, I am thinking of you! Remember, it’s just another day. <3
Lots of love,